Why We're Here

Our admission counselors are here to share with you the world of Miami admission. Learn a little about us and the process, plus all the fun and excitement happening on and off campus this year.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Study Abroad with Miami


Hey all,

My name is Matt Hoffman and I am a junior at Miami. I spent last semester studying abroad in Geneva, Switzerland. During my time in Europe, I had the opportunity to travel to 11 countries and visit many great cities like Paris, Rome, and Berlin. In addition, I was able to participate in an internship with the International Center for Migration, Health, and Development, a Swiss-based non-governmental organization (NGO). While there, I completed research about the health effects of being left behind by migration; however, the best part were the daily interactions that I had with my colleagues—an incredibly diverse group of individuals from around the globe.

This experience was extremely meaningful to me because it took me entirely outside of my comfort zone. I was able to acclimate myself to living in another culture, to speak French and Spanish on a daily basis, and to grow intellectually. Geneva is such a great city, especially for people who are interested in learning humanitarian aid, human rights, and topics related to international organizations, such as the United Nations. Due to this focus, Geneva is also one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse places in the world. If you are interested in reading more about my adventure, check out my blog at www.mattmeetsworld.blogspot.com.

If Geneva isn’t your cup of tea, there are so many more opportunities to explore the world. I have friends who have/are studying in Jordan, China, Spain, Argentina, Australia, and Kenya. If you have an interest in studying somewhere, there is a way that Miami can make it happen! In addition to semester or year-long experiences, many students opt for summer seminars offered by various departments throughout the school. Many students who are unsure of where to study choose to explore Miami’s campus in Differdange, Luxembourg, home of MU’s Dolibois European Center. Wherever you want to go, there are numerous resources that help finance these experiences so that every student at Miami can become a “global citizen.” In an increasingly globalized world, such experiences can prove invaluable and transformational. More information can be found at www.muohio.edu/international.

Thanks for reading! Happy travels!

Love & Honor (it’s a Miami thing),

Matt Hoffman
MU Class of 2010

No comments: