Why We're Here

Our admission counselors are here to share with you the world of Miami admission. Learn a little about us and the process, plus all the fun and excitement happening on and off campus this year.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hello from Oxford and the Office of Admission. I am Ann Bader and I have been an admission counselor here for nearly 9 years and I love my job. I have a unique role on this blog team because not only am I the oldest member (by far!!!), but I also have the added expertise of being the mom of a current college junior and high school senior. So I can really identify with the parents out there. My Class of 2009 daughter is in the middle of application prep, tests taking this month, 4 AP courses and the general frenzy of her senior year. She just asked me to speak to her AP English class next week about the admission essay, brave of her! I have read 1000s of essays and I am here to tell you that there are a few key things to remember to write a successful college admission essay. First, pick a topic that makes you passionate when you write. It’s OK to be angry about something, elated, excited or frustrated, because the passion you feel will allow the next thing to occur - your personality will shine through. We want to get to know you and your essay is the best way for us to learn about how you think, what you hope to do, what has been important to you. Finally, we do not want to read about those other schools you are applying to, so be sure to proof read your essay before you send it out! It can be embarrassing to tell one school how much you love a different school. I am off, I have to read a stack of applications, attend a parent meeting tonight, and train this weekend to be a swim team official. Have a great weekend

No comments: