Why We're Here

Our admission counselors are here to share with you the world of Miami admission. Learn a little about us and the process, plus all the fun and excitement happening on and off campus this year.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tales from the Road

Hello!

My name is Chrissy Ormond and I am an Admission Counselor.

I am currently writing from my hotel in Cleveland, Ohio. I have been in Cleveland for the past two weeks visiting high schools and attending college fairs. The fall months mean “travel season” for all of us in the Admission Office, as we work hard to recruit the best and brightest students around the nation. This fall I will have traveled much more than I have in the past couple of years. When all is said and done, I will have been on the road for six weeks! I love travel season, though, as it allows me to see parts of the country that I might not otherwise see. In the past five weeks, I have spent time in Seattle, Denver, North central Ohio and Cleveland. Next week, I wrap up my travel with a week in Chicago. Whew! Here is a picture of my favorite destination this fall, Seattle.














Although travel season is among my favorite times of the year, I will look forward to my return to Oxford next weekend after my Chicago trip. I am excited about next weekend because it is Miami’s Homecoming weekend! This is a weekend with lots of activity and excitement around campus! I graduated from Miami in 2006, so many of my closest friends will make their way (some driving, some flying) back to Oxford for Homecoming. And since I live in town all of my college housemates come back and stay with me. It’s a great time to catch up with my best friends from Miami!

I will be going to the Homecoming football game next Saturday (we’re taking on Kent State), and you will definitely find me at the pep rally, parade and fireworks. The theme of Homecoming this year is, “Old Miami, New Miami, Your Miami”. One of my favorite things to do is walk around town and check out all the house decorations. Each year, the University holds a house decorating contest for off-campus student residences. The decorations typically coincide with the year’s theme. The students in these houses are so creative! They go all out and I can only imagine how many hours they spend decorating their houses, trying to win bragging rights for having the most impressive display. Let’s just hope it doesn’t rain that day!

I hope you all have a super weekend!

Chrissy

No comments: