Why We're Here

Our admission counselors are here to share with you the world of Miami admission. Learn a little about us and the process, plus all the fun and excitement happening on and off campus this year.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Commencement: the end, or the beginning?

Well, it’s June! Congratulations to all you seniors have just graduated or are getting ready to walk across the stage and receive your hard-earned high school diploma. When you reach the end of a chapter in your life, you might be so excited to start the new chapter that you forget to relish the old! As one student wrote in our Admitted Student Facebook group: “Get me to Miami NOW!... Please? (:”

I don’t blame you. Miami is great. You will have four fantastic years here. This place will become a part of you and help to guide the rest of your life. But before you pack up and move on, take a moment to reflect on where you are, who you are, and the things you’ve done. Think about all the things you will miss: the people, the spots you love, the leadership roles you worked hard for, the familiarity of it all. Enjoy them one last time before you close that chapter.

I am also looking forward to a new chapter. Tomorrow is my last day as an Admission Counselor, and soon I will start a new role as Assistant Director of the Honors Program here at Miami. And while I am so excited to get started and dive right in working with all of you in the Honors Program, I have to take a moment to look around and reflect on the last three years I’ve spent in this office recruiting great students like you.

I will miss reading your inspiring application essays. I will miss walking into your high schools and picturing what your life must be like there. I will miss driving around your cities on your roads, stopping in your Starbucks or grabbing lunch at your Panera. I will miss answering the phone and hearing “Hi Mandy, it’s me again.” I will miss welcoming visitors to our campus and showing them how great life Miami can be. I will miss getting to know you and walking you through the stressful process that is college admission.

But, as you know, it is not the end. It is time for us to find out what new things we will love, what new things we will someday miss. And it’s time to dive in J

No comments: