Why We're Here

Our admission counselors are here to share with you the world of Miami admission. Learn a little about us and the process, plus all the fun and excitement happening on and off campus this year.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Beware "The Ides of March"!

No, this is not a reference to the famous Shakespearean quote from Julius Caesar, it is however a reference to Clooney, Gosling, and Tomei. Yes, that’s right; I am referring to movie stars George Clooney, Ryan Gosling, and Marissa Tomei who are shooting their newest film “The Ides of March” here in Oxford on Miami’s campus.

The film crews have been on campus all week and of course there have been many star sightings, including girls screaming at the mere sight of Ryan Gosling and people scrambling to get a picture of George Clooney. Scenes for the film have been taped at the Farmer School of Business Building and Hall Auditorium, and people from the Miami Community were invited to be extras in the film. Now, I know Oxford is not the first place that comes to mind when you think of movie sets and A-List Hollywood actors, but this is not the first film to tape scenes on Miami’s beautiful campus. “Little Man Tate” starring Jodie Foster was also filmed here in the 90s.

Now that you have your fun fact I’ll share with you my close encounter with The George Clooney. Yesterday as I was walking back to the office after lunch I was diverted from my regular pathway because the movie crew moved to their location at Hall Auditorium. Since I was a Miami student I knew the easiest way around the closed sidewalk was to go around the library. As I was walking around the building and chatting with my friend a large black SUV started coming down the one-way street between the library and McGuffey Hall. We thought nothing about it until my friend peeked in the back window and turns to me saying “That’s him!” I thought someone important was in the vehicle but we didn’t know if it actual was him until one of the producers nodded to us with a smile and said “Yes, that’s him!” There were tons of people waiting on the other side of the building trying to catch a glimpse of George Clooney and here we were just walking back to the office and we were 5 feet away from him. Talk about lucky! My friend froze in her tracks but of course I said “hi” and told him to have fun filming, to which he replied “hi” back, smiled, and gave us the thumbs up. Then everyone realized he was behind the building not in front and he was whisked away in the blink of an eye. Sadly we were not prepared to take a picture of this once in a lifetime occurrence but we have the memory, and I hope you will be able to create great memories like this at Miami!

Did I mention now there are rumors swirling that Leonardo DiCaprio is here too?! I think I may go on Leo Watch to find out if it is true!

No comments: