Why We're Here

Our admission counselors are here to share with you the world of Miami admission. Learn a little about us and the process, plus all the fun and excitement happening on and off campus this year.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Go Global!










Dumela! (Hello!)

Anyone interested in service? Miami has tons of ways to get involved in the community—whether you tutor kids after school, build homes with Habitat for Humanity, walk and groom dogs at the Humane Society, or prepare and serve meals at the Cincinnati Drop Inn center, you are bound to make an impact on someone else’s life. To learn more about getting involved with Community Service opportunities, visit
http://www.units.muohio.edu/saf/service/.

Miami students can’t seem to sit still! They actively seek out these types of service opportunities, and continue to do so even after they graduate. When I was a Miami student, I tutored children after school and also volunteered at a Senior Citizen’s center. Once I graduated, I knew I wanted to continue to love on other people. I recently returned from a trip to South Africa, where I joined 200 others to serve the town of Mamelodi by building homes, planting vegetable gardens, playing with kids, and visiting with AIDS patients. We also had the opportunity to learn more about Apartheid and even go on a safari!

Miami wants to prepare you to be a global citizen. You may choose to study abroad in China, Luxembourg, Italy or Australia, or even volunteer with Alternative Spring Break to El Salvador, Mexico or the Dominican Republic. My Miami education helped prepare me for my African experience and gave me tools and confidence to go global. I hope you will too!


Meredith


No comments: